“Let’s redesign Europe” – This will be the theme of Dany Cohn-Bendit’s ‘fresh start’. A fresh start because 2014 will mark the end of an era in which as a MEP, Dany Cohn-Bendit embodied the European dream through his speeches, writings and actions both within and outside the EU institutions.
This may well mark the end of a period, but not the end of the dream. Our discussions on the future of the EU and its institutions won't stop here... Furthermore, the last few years have provided ample material for critical examination: economic crisis, financial storm, Eurozone governance, crawling renationalisation of EU, confidence crisis of Europeans, lack of democratic legitimacy, etc. The European project, as a postwar peace and reconciliation project, is no longer able to inspire citizens. "Technocracy", "distant", "a Europe made by elites for elites". The divorce is evident. This crisis is therefore a huge challenging for the European Union and means it must reinvent the European project and redefine its hopes and ambitions.
"Let's redesign Europe": April 5th come one, come all and join us in in a festive and participatory atmosphere!
- International sign language translation and speech-to-text facilities will be provided for the three round-table discussions
- The roundtables will also be livestreamed
- Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in English, French and Dutch
Opening : Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Co-President of the Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament
Roundtable - Europe, this strange continent?
- Avi Primor, former Israeli Ambassador in Germany and to the European Union. Israel
- Elias Sanbar, historian, poet and publicist. Palestinian Ambassador to the UNESCO. Palestine
- Marie Jégo, journalist, correspondant in Moscow, Le Monde. France
- Raí Souza de Oliveira, former football player and founder of the foundation Gol de Letra. Brazil
Moderation: Daniel Cohn-Bendit and Rebecca Harms
Rountable - The Europe Utopia: Back to the Future?
- Joschka Fischer, former Foreign Minister of Germany. Germany
- Emma Bonino, former Foreign Minister of Italy. Italy
- Geert Mak, historian and journalist, author of "In Europe. Travels through the twentieth century". The Netherlands
- Martin Hirsch, French intellectual and politician, leading figure of the fight against poverty. France
Moderation: Daniel Cohn-Bendit and Jean Quatremer
Roundtable - National medias and Europe : je t'aime, moi non plus?
Opening by Monica Frassoni, Co-President of the European Green Party
- Pierre Kroll, Belgian cartoonist. Belgium
- Lorenzo Consoli, journalist, former President of International Press Association. Italy
- Marek Ostrowski, journalist, Polityka. Poland
- Ines Pohl, journalist, die Tageszeitung. Germany
- Isabelle Ory, journalist, Europe 1. France
Moderation: Daniel Cohn-Bendit and José Bové
with Goran Bregovic and his Wedding and Funeral Band
- Sound and images
- Avant Première: 2014 Football World Cup in Flagey
- Film screening
& other surprises