This is to inform you that the Greens/EFA group in the European Parliament is looking for a full-time climate campaigner (fixed-term contractual agent contract of one year function group III).
Deadline for application: 26 February 2020
Starting date: As soon as possible
Tasks to be performed:
- Organise and implement a number of campaign projects relating to climate change decided by the Greens/EFA group in the European Parliament. Report to the Campaigns & Outreach Team Leader and coordinate with the climate campaign coordinators MEPs, work in close cooperation with advisors and communications staff to set the priorities for the campaign and implement activities in order to achieve the campaign goals.
- Design the strategy and activities relating to a number time-bound, relevant and public-facing climate change campaign projects that will change over time, and will include measurements of success, targets, tactics and budget, in coordination with the Campaigns and Outreach Unit and the Ecological Cluster of relevant advisors and MEPs.
- Network building: develop external networks that can help drive the political change goals of the campaign, including meeting with stakeholders, NGOs, experts, think tanks and civil society groups, as well as the wider Green/EFA political party network across Europe. Ensure that the database of contacts within these networks are managed using the correct internal systems and are GDPR compliant.
- When necessary, follow developments in the EP committees covering climate-related issues working with policy advisors and using the legislative tools available in the EP to best leverage our work for the campaign’s end goals. Highlight important committee developments and communicate to the outside world the work of the Greens/EFA group, where campaign-relevant.
- Prioritise external communication. Ensure their delivery in close cooperation with the communications unit, to support the campaign projects’ aims. Such products have the objective to reach citizens and can include content for information tools and documents (reports, leaflets, articles, video); coordinate the development of online communication activities (social networks, blog entries, media actions, petitions, calls to action, email and newsletters); support the media & press activities of the Greens/EFA group on the campaign issues;
- Event management: plan & organise events (conferences & workshops and campaign actions) inside and mainly outside the house, aimed at supporting the goals of the campaign projects. Organise and host regular campaign working group meetings internally with the relevant staff and MEPs to update and exchange campaign-relevant information.
- External communication: Define media and communication actions together with MEPs working on the issues and in close liaison with the communications department; assist in the preparation of press work on key issues, where relevant; keep in regular contact with the relevant line-managers, advisors and MEP offices about campaign developments.
- Assist in planning and brainstorming within the wider Campaigns & Outreach Unit to devise strategies across multiple campaigns and themes, by participating fully in the strategic planning of the unit and Campaigns & Outreach team.
Qualifications, experience and desired skills requested:
- Work experience of 3 years or more;
- Work experience in the field campaigning and advocacy on climate/environmental issues;
- Experience working in a political environment with a desire to actively contribute to the protection of the climate and creating political change;
- Excellent analysis skills and a proven record of strategic campaign planning, including the design and implementation of campaign strategies;
- Educational background in line with the function;
- Understanding of climate change policies and experience in viewing environmental policies in terms of campaign opportunities;
- Familiarity with Green positions relevant for the work on climate change, the European Green Deal, the Energy Transition and connected issues;
- Excellent understanding of digital campaigning, including the development of social media, email campaigns and public calls to action.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to be self-motivated and a stress-resistant team player;
- Excellent networking skills; and the ability to retain and foster links with relevant social movements, civil society groups and key stakeholders;
- Good knowledge of the European institutions, EU legislation and decision-making process;
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage multiple requests and projects at the same time;
- Very good writing skills and knowledge of organisational methodology;
- Very good knowledge of English and of at least one other EU language;
- Open-mindedness, communicative attitude and experience in working in a political administration and in a multi-cultural team;
- Ability to problem-solve, with an emphasis on creativity and brainstorming new ideas;
- Being a team-player and ready to work flexible hours and join missions abroad.
Under article 12, (2) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS) of the European Communities, candidates must:
- Be citizen of an EU Member State;
- Enjoy full rights as citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws concerning military service;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
We expect the candidate to be an excellent team player, open minded and proactive, who likes to work in a multicultural environment, ready to work flexible hours and joining on missions.
The Greens/EFA group is an equal opportunity employer. We promote diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. In case of equal appreciation on competence and suitability for the position, preference will be given to female applicants.
In case of interest in this position, send a motivation letter with your CV and supporting documents by e-mail only to the Deputy Secretary General of the Group (email@example.com) with copy to Greens/EFA HR department (Greens.HR@ep.europa.eu) before 26 February end of business 7pm Brussels time.