This is to inform you that the Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament is looking for a full-time Press assistant (French language) (fixed-term contractual agent position for at least two years renewable, function group III).
Deadline for application: 7th December 2020
Starting date: as soon as possible
The Communication Strategy Unit of the Greens/EFA group seeks a committed press assistant (French language, covering Southern Europe) to join its team in Brussels. The role will involve working closely with our press team, and the wider Green/EFA colleagues to develop and deliver on press strategy for the Green/EFA Group.
This role will involve drafting press releases and managing contacts with journalists in Brussels and across Europe (for media without no correspondents based in Brussels) particular in Southern EU Member States, as well as translations of specific press-work, assisting in data-management, press event organisation and helping to devise press plans on a variety of topics, issues and Group priorities. It will require close working relationships with the wider communications, outreach and campaigner teams to monitor and analyse our media influence.
Excellent oral/written communication skills in French are required, and a high standard of oral skills in Spanish or a third language are highly sought after. A good knowledge of the press landscape and media relations at EU level is necessary as well as knowledge of the functioning of the European Union institutions. Candidates with experience of the media landscape in Southern EU member states are encouraged to apply.
The suitable candidate must be a committed team player, with a high degree of availability and flexibility. Attention to detail is important. S/He already has experience in the field of political communication and likes to work in a multilingual environment with a very variable workflow. S/HE follows the European political debates and is interested in Green policy issues and is familiar with the EU media and relevant media at national level. Computer skills and familiarity digital communications tools are essential for the proper performance of the above-mentioned duties. The role also involves keeping our press contact database (CRM) up-to-date and GDPR-compliant, as well as continuously testing and analysing our press engagement strategies, via media monitoring. Such work will feed into the Group’s overall political and communication strategy.
Tasks to be performed:
- Contributes as a team member for the French speaking section of the press service of the Communications Unit in the Greens/EFA Group.
- Responsible for the drafting and e translation of press releases, quotes and other French language press material
- Assists in advising MEPs on press work
- Assists in covering political developments in southern European countries, and finding opportunities for press communications and outreach (FR, ES, IT, GR, PT, M)
- Coordinates communications work with Greens/EFA MEPs’ offices from the region.
- Ensuring press and media contacts are up to date
- Organises press briefings, events with MEPs and journalists in a variety different of formats
- Assists in coordinating press work with national delegations and MEP offices
- Maintains a regularly updated GDPR-compliant database of press contacts
- Reviews and monitors the media and regularly develops reports and collates data on our performance for the Group
- Assists in compiling updates for journalists on the latest parliamentary activities and priorities of the Greens/EFA Group
- Contributes to strategies on press and communications planning for the Group
- Supporting the Communications and Campaigns & Outreach teams in brainstorming for press outreach
- Establishing good relationships with a variety of news and digital media groups in the region
Qualifications, experience and desired skills requested:
- Work experience of 2 years or more;
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of the French language
- A good working understanding of English and of at least one other EU language (Spanish in particular is sought after)
- Experience in dealing with media in Brussels and the media landscape in Brussels
- Knowledge of the press landscape in one or more southern EU member states (in particular France, Spain and Italy)
- Experience of drafting press releases in French
- Experience in a political environment and multicultural workplace
- Knowledge of Green/EFA positions, values, political orientation and presentation
- A strong understanding press engagement, including story-writing and placement
- Fast and precise working style and a high degree of flexibility
- Excellent analysis skills and a proven record of strategic planning
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to be self-motivated and a stress-resistant team player
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage multiple requests and projects at the same time
- Very good writing skills and knowledge of organisational methodology
- Open-mindedness, communicative attitude and experience in working in a multi-cultural team;
- Ability to problem-solve, with an emphasis on creativity and brainstorming new ideas;
- Being a team-player and ready to work flexible hours, including work-related travel.
- Educational background in line with the function
- Understanding the media and press landscape at EU level (strong asset)
- Knowledge of the European institutions, EU legislation and decision-making process
- Work experience in journalism, or with press agencies
Under article 82, (23) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS) of the European Communities, candidates must:
- Be citizen of an EU Member State unless an exception is authorised by the authority referred to in article 6 (1);
- Enjoy full rights as citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws concerning military service;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
We expect the candidate to be an excellent team player who likes to work in a multicultural environment and who is ready to engage in work-related travel.
The Greens/EFA group is an equal opportunity employer. We promote diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. In case of equal appreciation on competence and suitability for the position, preference will be given to female applicants.
In case of interest in this position, send a motivation letter with your CV and supporting documents by e-mail only to the Greens/EFA HR department (Greens.HR@ep.europa.eu) before 7th December, 7pm Brussels time.