An unprecedented drive is under way to promote new genetic modification techniques that are collectively termed gene editing – most notably CRISPR/Cas. The agricultural biotech industry claims that these techniques can provide solutions to our food and farming problems, including the challenges posed by climate change, pests, and diseases.
This report looks at the claims and shows them to be at best misleading and at worst deceptive. It shows that gene editing is a costly and potentially dangerous distraction from the real solutions to the challenges faced by our food and farming sectors.
- FULL REPORT - Gene Editiing Myths and Reality Report
- SUMMARY - Gene Editiing Myths and Reality Report
- CHAPTER 1 - Gene editing is genetic engineering not breeding
- CHAPTER 2 - Gene editing is not precise and causes unpredictable genetic errors
- CHAPTER 3 - Gene editing causes genetic changes that are different from those that happen in nature
- CHAPTER 4 - Gene editing is risky and its products can be unsafe
- CHAPTER 5 - Gene-edited products are detectable
- CHAPTER 6 - Gene-editing technology is owned and controlled by big corporations
- CHAPTER 7 - Gene editing is not a fast or reliable route to desired outcomes
- CHAPTER 8 - Gene editing is a risky and expensive distraction_from proven successful solutions to food and farming problems