High-level roundtable: Towards COP28!
A discussion with Vanessa Nakate and Wopke Hoekstra
⬇SCROLL DOWN FOR REGISTRATION⬇
The first cross-party and pan-European discussion on COP28 in the European Parliament!
Climate justice, global fossil interests, the legacy of COP27 and the ambitions for the COP28: Where are we standing and where are we heading? Join us for a discussion with guest of honour Vanessa Nakate, climate activist and nominee for the Sakharov Prize this year, and newly appointed European Commissioner for Climate Action Wopke Hoekstra.
Together with them, a cross-party panel and IPCC scientist Friederike Otto, we want to probe into the challenges for this year's climate conference.
We want to ask:
- COP28 will be a controversial conference: What role does the fossil fuel industry play in achieving the ambitious global climate goals?
- What is the concrete impact of hesitant climate action on the planet and on people’s lives?
- After COP27 in Sharm El-Sheik, what has been achieved and what challenges are still left for the EU?
- With the new commissioner, what is the EU planning now to achieve its climate goals?
- Prof. Dr. Friederike Otto, Climate scientist and co-author of IPCC report
- Vanessa Nakate, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- Wopke Hoekstra, Commissioner for Climate Action
- Michael Bloss, MEP Greens/EFA, Germany (Co-Host)
- Mohammed Chahim, MEP S&D, Netherlands (Co-Host)
- Petros Kokkalis, MEP Left, Greece (Co-Host)
Moderator: Kira Taylor, Journalist Euractiv
In cooperation with Europe Calling, the NGO bringing together 1000s of citizens from all across Europe.
Timetable to follow soon!