A Greens/EFA seminar
09:30 - 10:00 Registration and coffee
10:00 - 10:15 Welcome and Introduction
MEP Bodil Valero, Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament
PANEL I: SETTING THE SCENE: ARE CURRENT EU POLICIES ON MIGRATION AND ASYLUM PUSHING MIGRANTS AND ASYLUM SEEKERS INTO IRREGULARITY?
Chair: MEP Josep-Maria Terricabras, Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament
10:15 -10:25 Undocumented migrants: what are the most common causes that push people into irregularity?
- Nando Sigona, Institute for Research into Superdiversity, University of Birmingham
10:25-10:35 How does the current migration policy and proposed CEAS reform affect migrants’ and asylum seekers’ status and security?
- Michele LeVoy, Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM)
- Kris Pollet, European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE)
10:35-10:45 What are the challenges undocumented migrants face in Europe?
- Said Codm Elouizi
10:45-11:05 Open discussion and interventions by participants
PANEL II: ESTABLISHING SAFEGUARDS FOR IRREGULAR MIGRANTS THROUGH POLICY AND PRACTICE
Chair: MEP Judith Sargentini, Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament
11:05 -11:25 What are the safeguards currently in place under EU law?
- Mauro Gagliardi, DG HOME, Unit C1, European Commission
- Adriano Silvestri, European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA)
11:25-11:55 Closing the gap: establishing safeguards for undocumented migrants in existing policies
- Dima Yared, OHCHR; Principles and Guidelines, supported by practical guidance, on the human rights protection of migrants in a vulnerable situation
- Stephanos Stavros, Council of Europe; ECRI General Policy Recommendation no. 16 on safeguarding irregularly present migrants from discrimination
11:55 -12:20 The role of Local and Regional Authorities in promoting the implementation of more favourable provisions and safeguards for undocumented migrants in Europe
- Karin Ekenger, Labour Market Expert, Confederation of Swedish Enterprise, Member of the European Economic and Social Committee
- Rian Ederveen, Stichting National Support Organisation for Undocumented Migrants (LOS)
- Salvatore Sofia, EUROCITIES
Discussion: Addressing challenges and promoting reforms based on the imperatives of protection, fundamental rights, inclusion and solidarity
12:25-12:50 Interventions by participants
12:50-13:00 Closing remarks
MEP Jean Lambert, Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament