Debriefing of the Strasbourg plenary week 1-3 July 2014
Table of contents
- New Greens/EFA group meets in Strasbourg
- Ulrike Lunacek elected European Parliament Vice-President
- Voices from Ukraine
- Plenary speeches by our Co-Presidents
Outside the Plenary
- Open hearing for European Commission President nominee
- EU waste and resource policy
- Commission agrees with Green economy
- Renewable energy victory in ECJ
New Greens/EFA group meets in StrasbourgThe new Greens/EFA group met in Strasbourg for the first time this week to elect the President of the European Parliament and finalise committee memberships, with new MEPs representing Lithuania, Slovenia, Hungary and Croatia for the first time. Our group is made up of European Greens, activists and representatives of disadvantaged minorities, stateless nations and regions. You can find out more about each of our members, their committee memberships and contact details on our homepage below. Delegation memberships are to be added.
- Members of the Greens/EFA group
- Press Release - Green group expands to new member states
- Press Release - New EFA Group gets to work
Ulrike Lunacek elected European Parliament Vice-PresidentGreens/EFA MEP Ulrike Lunacek (Austria) was elected vice-president of the European Parliament Tuesday. During her campaign Ulrike focused on the need to rebuild public trust in an open, transparent, greener and more ethical European Parliament that truly represents EU citizens and defends democracy and human rights at EU level. She will serve for two and a half years as a Vice-President after which elections by MEPs will take pace again.
- Webarticle - Democracy is about Choices
- Press Release - Greens/EFA MEP Lunacek elected as vice-president of the European Parliament
Voices from UkraineSix months after the crackdown against democratic pro-EU demonstrations in Ukraine, we organised a public hearing on Wednesday with Ukrainian representatives in order to debate about the situation
Plenary Speeches by our Co-PresidentsRebecca Harms speaks on the conclusions of the European Council meeting
Outside the Plenary
Open hearing for European Commission President nomineeThe Greens/EFA group announced Thursday that they would hold an open hearing on Wednesday 9th July with European Commission President nominee Jean-Claude Juncker. The entire hearing will be livestreamed with the public invited to participate via twitter #hashtag #JunckerTest and the facebook event page. We are very happy to welcome Mr. Juncker and have many questions for him. Ultimately, the support of the group will depend on whether his priorities for the next five years match our own.
- Livestream link
- Event page on our homepage
- Announcement Tweet (with links and #hashtag)
- Facebook event page (with links and #hashtag)
Renewable energy victory in ECJThe European Court of Justice upheld member state support schemes for renewable Energy on Monday. These are essential if we are to have a climate friendly and secure energy future as well as for boosting Green jobs. Now we must keep up the pressure for a binding target of 45% renewable energy by 2030.