Why the Greens/EFA Group is opposed to the cultivation of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and GM foods
The main reasons the Greens/EFA group is opposed to GMOs are:
- GMOs are novel organisms which can become unstoppable in nature. They can be responsible for irreversible genetic contamination and contaminate all of our agriculture and food systems.
- The environmental and health impacts of GMOs are unpredictable.
- GMOs are being used by agrochemical companies to patent plants under the pretext they are novel organisms in the same way industrial goods are patented. Patents on life are not acceptable.
- Expanding GMO use would deprive farmers of control over seeds, with the rights for GMOs controlled by a handful of multinational agrochemical companies. This would give these companies significant influence over our food supply system.
- GMOs are a cornerstone of an industrial agriculture system, which is incompatible with sustainable agriculture, aimed at ensuring longterm food security for the planet’s population.
- EU citizens are massively opposed to GMOs in the fields and on their plates. There is no reason for companies to try to impose GMOs against people's will.
- GMOs are not efficient for farmers as they either have pesticides embedded or lead to an increased use of herbicides.
The Greens/EFA group wants a ban on the release of GMOs into the environment. It has been campaigning on the issue for 15 years and is the only parliamentary group that has been consistent in its opposition to the deliberate release of GMOs. (...)