About the EFA Group
The European Free Alliance (EFA) Group in the European Parliament brings together MEPs who advance the cause of Europe's stateless nations, regions and disadvantaged minorities.
Current EFA MEPs are:
- Jordi Solé – (EFA Group President) Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya / Catalonia
- François Alfonsi - R&PS / Corsica
- Ana Miranda - Bloque Nacionalista Galego / Galiza
- Diana Riba i Giner - Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya / Catalonia
- Piernicola Pedicini - Independent Member / Italy
EFA Members of the European Parliament are members of the Greens/European Free Alliance Group in the European Parliament, forming a common parliamentary group with Europe’s Greens since 1999.
The European Free Alliance (EFA) draws together political parties fighting for democracy and self-determination for the stateless nations and regions of Europe. We are committed to democratic, constitutional and peaceful means. EFA's work and campaigning is underpinned by the core principles of social justice and equality.
EFA fights for:
- democracy for the stateless nations and regions of Europe
- respect and recognition for the rights of minorities
- an end to racism and xenophobia
- social justice and progressive politics
- sustainable development and environmental protection
- peaceful conflict resolution and an end to war
EFA MEPs have achieved greater recognition for Europe's stateless nations and have highlighted the discrimination faced by minority language speakers. The group speaks up for Europe's regions, fighting for fair play when the EU decides how to spend its structural funds. Our group has also been particularly active in exposing human rights abuses across the world and in defending civil liberties.
Read the leaflet presentation about EFA
The European Free Alliance parliamentary group is not to be confused with the European Free Alliance European Political party (www.e-f-a.org) which draws together a broad range of autonomist and regionalist parties, whether represented in the European Parliament or not. The President of the EFA Political Party is Lorena Lopez de Lacalle from the Basque Country.