JOIN THE CAMPAIGN
FOR PEOPLE AND THE PLANET, SAY NO TO EU-MERCOSUR
Amazônia, the Heart of Mother Earth
Come and watch this new documentary on the Amazon, its indigenous people and corporate land-grabbing. Cinéma Aventure, Brussels, 20/02, 6:30PM - 9PM. The screening will be followed by a debate and buffet.
Stop the EU-Mercosur Trade Deal
Our Group has been opposing the EU-MERCOSUR dinosaur agreement as it goes against the European general interest but also the European Green Deal which has not even entered into force yet. It does not even respond to the challenges faced by the population of the four Latin American countries
In 2024, it's time to move on from the unfair and unsustainable trade deal that the EU has been pursuing with Mercosur countries.
On 17 and 18 July, after 8 years, leaders from Latin America and the Caribbean countries and the EU are coming together in Brussels for the EU-CELAC Summit. This Summit is a turning point for a new cooperation agenda and strategic partnership between the EU and Latin America and the Caribbean. After having discussed the potential of the EU-CELAC strategic partnership during our event, this is what we expect it to deliver.
To keep the Amazon breathing the EU must say no to the EU-Mercosur Trade Agreement as it stands.
The EU cannot allow a trade agreement that would increase deforestation of the Amazon rainforest. We need to renegotiate the deal. The Paris Agreement and the Convention on Biological diversity objectives must have precedence over trade liberalisation provisions throughout the agreement.
Despite its proven severe impacts on the Amazon rainforest many European politicians want this deal!
Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, must hear our thoughts about the deal, please help us flag our concerns with her. We have already prepared an email for you.
The EU-Mercosur Free Trade Agreement, its impacts on Agriculture
This study, carried out by the Institut de l’Elevage, focuses on agricultural and food goods, and the likely impacts of the EU-Mercosur Free Trade Agreement’s implementation on social aspects, human health, animal welfare and the environment.
European businesses have concerns about the EU-Mercosur deal: new YouGov poll shows
A new YouGov poll, published today, has captured the opinion of business leaders on the EU-Mercosur Trade deal.
FACTSHEETS ON EU-MERCOSUR TRADE AGREEMENT
OUR VISION: TRADING FOR GOOD
Imagine if the EU used its powers as a massive trading bloc to promote the green transition and human rights all over the world. That’s our vision for future trade deals - we want the EU to only agree to deals that are good for people and the planet, rather than deals that are only about profits for some and plundering of natural resources.
Learn more about our vision for future trade deals.
SAY NO TO EU-MERCOSUR
That’s why we say no to the EU-Mercosur deal! The EU-Mercosur trade agreement is expected to exacerbate deforestation in the Amazon, destroy biodiversity, undermine animal welfare and increase violations of human rights.
There is a growing coalition of governments that is coming to realise the dangers of signing this agreement for people and planet. Plus, we already managed to get the European Parliament to oppose the EU-Mercosur Trade Agreement’s ratification in October 2020, mainly due to the alarming situation in the Amazon.
We need to increase the pressure to make sure more and more governments realise that signing this deal is a bad idea!
Get the latest news
JOIN THE CAMPAIGN!
- We are calling on the European Commission to re-open the current deal and propose clear new standards on deforestation, climate change, human rights, agriculture and health and animal welfare, that would lead to sanctions in case any of these are violated. The President of the EU Commission has made ambitious promises on climate change, known as the “Green Deal”. But this agreement, if signed, will turn all those promises into empty words.
- We are campaigning to put pressure on EU governments so that they reject the deal and stand up for people and the planet.
Join us to defend our commitments to climate, sustainable development and human rights!
KEY DEMANDS ON THE EU-MERCOSUR DEAL
1. We call for the EU-Mercosur trade agreement to be re-opened. This is the only way to fully anchor sustainability standards throughout the text, with enforceable and sanctionable standards on deforestation, climate, human rights, agriculture and health, animal welfare.
2. We want to make sure the EU-Mercosur deal, or any other EU trade deals, are in line with the European Green Deal and our commitments to the Paris Agreement.
3. We need a paradigm shift in trade policy whereby social and environmental dimensions are truly at the core of trade and investment deals. The EU-Mercosur Deal, as it stands, fails to do so. Non-binding, ad hoc pre-ratification declarations will not make this deal pass.
“The shortcomings of the agreement cannot be mitigated by declarations of intent or other tricks which do not change the content of the agreement itself.”
MEP Anna Cavazzini
Why we need to oppose the EU-Mercosur trade deal to protect sustainable agriculture in Europe
The EU’s proposed trade deal with Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay offers no assurances that imported products will comply with our environmental or food safety standards.