JOIN THE CAMPAIGN
DEFEND CIVIL SOCIETY
A thriving civil society
The crackdown against civil society has become a reality in the EU. Repressive laws and administrative hurdles restrict the freedoms of expression, assembly, and association. We want to make sure civil society is supported and protected in the EU.
EU action to protect democracy
Civil society organisations are crucial in the fight against corruption and discrimination, and to protect the environment, social care, health and much more. They intervene as democratic antibodies when rights, democracy and the rule of law are under attack. The EU must act and safeguard civil society space in its Member States.
Stay informed about our work on defending civil society
To strengthen and protect civil society in the EU, we demand:
- Minimum standards for protection of civil society organisations in all member states of the EU
- Making cross-border cooperation easier between civil society non-profit organisations and facilitating the legal mutual recognition of non-profit organisations among national authorities by harmonising common minimum-standards on civil society organisations
- Guaranteeing easier access to funding for non-profit organisations at European and national level
- Creating and implementing measures to support a regular, meaningful and structured dialogue with civil society
- Creating a statute for European cross-border associations and non-profit organisations
Study launch "Beyond Borders, Beyond Boundaries"
The impact on migrants, asylum seekers and refugees is devastating. Tunisian and Libyan authorities - which are the main beneficiaries of the funding programs - carry out human rights violations within the framework of border management activities funded by the EU-supported programs, especially in the context of sea interceptions.
Exhibition “1000 Dreams”
The interviews and photographs that make up 1000 Dreams have been produced by 50 refugees who currently reside in Europe. Every refugee storyteller went through a workshop and mentorship program, teaching them photography and interviewing skills. It’s a project about refugees, by refugees. 1000 Dreams is a project created and run by Witness Change.
A legal vacuum - the systematic criminalisation of migrants for driving a boat or car to Greece
This report aims to give new and in-depth insights about the criminalisation of people on the move for "smuggling" in Greece, analysing the current legal framework as well as its practical enforcement. It shows that instead of protecting the rights of smuggled migrants and asylum seekers, these policies criminalise them and expose them to long prison sentences
Tens of thousands asylum seekers have been brutally pushed back at Europe’s borders in the past years. The Commission grants financial support to the countries that carry out these inhumane practices through the use of European migration funds.
This has to stop. No EU money should fund these extreme human rights violations at our borders.
Urge the European Commission to act now.