GWENDOLINE DELBOS-CORFIELD FOR VICE-PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
What Gwendoline stands for
"We need a no-tolerance strategy against corruption. Corruption thrives best in the dark where transparency, accountability and oversight are lacking.
As Vice-President of the European Parliament, I would work with colleagues from across the political spectrum to make the European Parliament a credible force against corruption. We need to win back the trust of citizens, with strict anti-corruption measures.
This means significantly improving whistleblower protection for staff, establishing an independent ethics body with investigative powers, mandatory entries of third countries in the transparency register, and the registration of lobby meetings, including with representatives of third countries."
We call for:
- Significantly enhancing whistleblower protection for staff members and APAs, by revising the Staff Regulations, in order to align them with the standards of the Whistleblower Directive;
- The establishment of an ethics body with the power to investigate all EU institutions, bodies and agencies, with the necessary financial means and staff to carry out its tasks fully;
- Establish a special committee with a strong mandate on transparency and anti-corruption, to ensure the revision of the European Parliament's ethics rules under public scrutiny.
We call for:
- Reform of the transparency register to make it mandatory for all organisations and third countries representatives lobbying the EU institutions and introduce more stringent transparency rules, mapping foreign funding for EU-related lobbying, and ensuring an entry which allows for the identification of funding from foreign governments and entities acting on their behalf;
- Specific obligations for Members to declare their assets at the beginning and end of each mandate, to offer additional safeguards against corruption; side jobs, gifts and travels not paid for by the European Parliament should be duly declared by MEPs, publicly accessible and monitored in order to avoid conflict of interest;
We call for:
- A strong and independent oversight mechanism, established through a full reform of the Advisory Committee on the Code of Conduct of Members, to ensure the enforcement and monitoring of obligations, including with the participation of external experts, and coupled with the establishment of a complaint mechanism for anyone to report potential violations
- Sanctions for MEPs not complying with ethics, rules and regulations: clear and enhanced sanctions regime s needs to be in place and transparently enforced and not applied only by the President discretionally.
- Introduce a cooling off period for former MEPs to ensure that they cannot use their position to influence policy;
Profile of Gwendoline Delbos-Corfield
French, Member of the European Parliament (MEP) since 2019
Born in Solihull (United Kingdom), now living between Brussels (Belgium) & Plateau des Petites Roches (France, North of the Alps)
2019 - Present - Work in the European Parliament
- Member of the Committee on Constitutional Affairs (AFCO)
- Member of the Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality (FEMM)
- Member of the Committee of Inquiry to investigate the use of Pegasus and
- equivalent surveillance spyware (PEGA)
- Member of the Delegation to the EU-UK Parliamentary Partnership Assembly (D-UK)
- Substitute member of the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
- Substitute member of the Special Committee on foreign interference in all
- democratic processes in the European Union, including disinformation (INGE 2)
- Substitute member of the Delegation to the EU-Türkiye Joint Parliamentary
- Committee (D-TR)
- Substitute member of the Delegation to the EU-Serbia Stabilisation and Association
- Parliamentary Committee (D-RS)
- Substitute member of the Delegation for Northern cooperation and for relations with Switzerland and Norway and to the EU-Iceland Joint Parliamentary Committee and the European Economic Area (EEA) Joint Parliamentary Committee (DEEA)
- Standing Rapporteur on the situation in Hungary
- 2021 - Present - Member of the Green European Foundation (GEF) Executive Board
- 2017 - 2019 - Member of the Europe Écologie Les Verts (EELV) Executive Board (networks
- and training programmes)
- 2016 - Present - Member of the Green European Foundation (GEF) General Assembly 2012 - 2019 - Member of the European Green Party (EGP) Executive Committee
- 2011 - 2013 - Member of the Europe Écologie Les Verts (EELV) Executive Board (responsible for regions and Europe)
- 2010 - 2015 - Regional councillor of Rhône-Alpes 2008 - 2014 - Local councillor of Grenoble