JOIN THE CAMPAIGN FOR
Fairer Fares: making transport more sustainable by ending fossil fuel subsidies for planes
TIME TO TAX JET FUEL!
The European Union should end the tax exemption for aviation fuels and allow for fair competition between aviation and more sustainable transport modes. There is a window of opportunity for the kerosene tax to be introduced at EU level because of the Energy Taxation Regulation revision due to be proposed by the Commission in mid-2021.
WHY SPECIAL AVIATION SUBSIDIES MUST END:
- It isn’t fair that 1% of the global population is responsible for half of the world’s emissions from aviation.
- It isn’t fair that the polluter pays principle is not fully applied to aviation.
- It isn’t fair that airlines enjoy tax exemptions on aviation fuel and intra-EU flights.
- It isn’t fair that aviation enjoys free allowances under the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS) with the Commission announcing it will only reduce rather than eliminate them.
- It isn’t fair that the non-CO2 effects of aviation are not regulated at EU level, despite warming the planet much more than CO2.
Send a letter now!
Urge the European Commission to ensure airlines pay their fair share and end tax benefits for polluters.
WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT
By mobilising civil society, the press and citizens, we can push the Commission to propose an end to this tax exemption on fossil fuels when it publishes its proposal for a new Energy Taxation Regulation.
So far, despite its public statements in favour of a “European Green Deal” and its Smart and Sustainable Mobility Strategy, the Commission has not yet clearly committed to end the exemption. Plus, there is significant opposition to this from the airline industry and several EU governments.
Transport Commissioner Adina Vălean refused to commit to this during her public appointment hearing, though Commissioner Frans Timmermans has given more positive signals. So let’s pile on the pressure!
The window of opportunity is small, but it is open right now. We need to group together to campaign to end this favourable treatment for airlines, and to get them to pay their fair tax share.