JOIN THE CAMPAIGN
FOR A WELCOMING EUROPE
Europe welcomes: The role of municipalities in EU's asylum system
Speakers from local governments, faith-organisation networks, NGO communities, migrant-led organisations and institutions will explore the welcoming nature of local communities and municipalities and discuss how municipalities can be better integrated in EU asylum policy.
Join us to discuss experiences of local communities and challenges that should be addressed in future EU asylum policy!
Since the start of the migration crisis in 2015, over a thousand municipalities in Europe have demonstrated their willingness to welcome asylum-seekers and refugees. But despite the willingness of people across the EU to show compassion, shelter and assistance to refugees, EU asylum policy currently prevents cities and municipalities to receive those in need.
BUT YOU CAN ACT!
Check out our interactive map, and discover the communities that are willing to welcome, place your city there or write to your mayor. Also make sure to read our blog!
WELCOMING PEOPLE WITH OPEN ARMS
A growing number of municipalities and regions in Europe are prepared to welcome asylum seekers; and many citizens want to help and show solidarity. We want to make sure that people who want to welcome other people with open arms are actually able to do so, and without being harassed or intimidated.
EU GOVERNMENTS BLOCKING AND CRIMINALISING SOLIDARITY
In today’s European Union, the voice of citizens wanting to welcome refugees and asylum seekers is not taken into account. People and NGOs helping refugees with food and water or rescuing people at sea are even being harassed and criminalised.
We need to stand up for and support the people who are being harassed for their humanity, and reform the Migration and Asylum Pact so that those who want to welcome refugees can do so properly.
Get the latest news
WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE
Specifically, we want to support the solidarity of NGOs and citizens that are rescuing people, influence decision makers and rally around NGOs that are being criminalised for helping refugees and asylum seekers. We believe that citizens’ initiatives and the work of NGOs should be a starting point in any future solidarity and relocation schemes in Europe.
Also, since the current Pact on Migration & Asylum discussed by European institutions does not address the growing movement of local communities, it needs to be reformed. We want to make sure that it reflects the clear support for “welcoming” initiatives, so that national authorities stop blocking people from welcoming those in need.
HOW WE WORK FOR A WELCOMING EUROPE
Let’s support solidarity !
- We support NGOs and citizens that are being harassed, receive threats and are sometimes dragged to court because they rescue refugees and migrants at sea, or because they give them water, food or clothes.
- We raise awareness around these cases and put pressure on national governments to fight against these worrying trends in many Member States
- We showcase local initiatives throughout Europe that are ready to welcome asylum seekers and refugees, and amplify their voices on EU level
- We mobilise EU citizens to take action and put pressure on their local governments to show solidarity and follow the example of other cities and municipalities
- We team up with NGOs, researchers, think tanks and Green municipalities to raise awareness around these initiatives
- We advocate for the voluntary reception capacity concept on EU level (to be included in the Migration Pact) and for the fact that the EU should provide financial incentives to municipalities and regions receiving asylum seekers.